Friday, November 2, 2007

Day 6, Where it all went Wrong.

Day 6 is supposed to be an easy day, we only have a short run to the next city of Zacetecas, and there are only 4 speed sections in the day. Two of them are out and back over La Bufa, another notorious road on the La Carrera, and it was here the Chevy met it's end, and the Driver and Co-driver really counted their blessings.

I don't know whether the dizzying heights of 3rd in class got to our heads or what, but coming down the far side of La Bufa we entered a left hander with just too much speed. The Chevy back end came loose and we slid round the corner. We were almost all the way round it when the back end caught a concrete post at the edge of the road, kicking the car straight and off the edge of the hill. It was 50-60 ft down with a dirt slope. no trees were there to save us this time. I grabbed my straps with my hands to stop my arms flailing about and closed my eyes, this was not going to be a fun ride. We landed sideway to the hill and started to roll. I think we probably went over 5 or 6 times, finishing up a long way off the road. The car came down with a final crash on the wheels. Both Mike and I staggered out of the wreckage and collapsed. It took a couple of minutes to realize that my face was wet and stinging. Another couple of minutes to find a bottle of water and pour it over my face. It turns out that 4 minutes of battery acid on your face is not a recommended defoliant technique. I'm sure I'll get my good looks back in a week or two. In the mean time I'm going to be a bit mottled.





The road we came off is in the background of this picture....



Driver and Co-driver kidding themselves....



Shot from the road where we went off....

No comments: